Who said allergy-restricted diets couldn’t be rich in desserts? See the melty chocolate throughout these cookie bars? As you get to know me, you will realize I am a chocolate freak! There is literally not a day that goes by where I don’t eat at least a little bit of chocolate. Usually more than just a little bit. Desserts are the toughest to sort out when you have food allergies; gluten, nuts or otherwise. If chocolate is your thing and you want an easy dessert to bring to a party or enjoy with your family, make these Magic Cookie Bars.
This recipe can be easily adapted to fit many different food allergy-restricted diets and can still be mouthwatering and an absolute crowd pleaser! As a matter of fact, I brought a gluten-free version to a recent BBQ and was asked to try to create a wedding cake from the recipe by the hostess. She said she is obsessed with them and she does not have any allergies!
There are so many variations but here are the basics:
- Box Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix, prepared or any other prepared chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup of 2 of the following toppings*; milk, dark or white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, toffee, or nuts (if you are not allergic)
- *In this recipe, I used Hershey's Dark Chocolate Chips and Hershey's Toffee (my kids can eat almonds but only if not contaminated with peanuts or other nuts).
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray 13x9 dish with cooking spray
- Prepare cookie dough and spread it on the bottom of the greased pan (you only need a thin layer so don't worry if it doesn't seem too thick)
- Bake cookie base for 15 minutes and take it out of the oven
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over the cookie base
- Mix shredded sweetened coconut with semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 other toppings you have chosen in a bowl
- Layer this mixture on top of the condensed milk and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes (until coconut flakes turn light brown)
- Let cool for about 2 hours, cut, serve and enjoy