Football season is here! Woohoo! Very exciting…unless you are a NY Jets fan, like us. If that is the case, my condolences after last night’s game. It’s been a total disaster since the pre-season game where they played Mark Sanchez in the 4th quarter with all back-up and rookie players supposedly there to protect him. Who made that call? Are they insane???? Please tell me they got fired already!
I have more football knowledge in my head than I even realize. I have learned it all through osmosis, I assure you. Before I met my husband, I don’t think I ever watched an entire football game. Now, I get upset when I miss one. I must have been brainwashed! I’m not sure when or how it happened. This knowledge and enjoyment of the game both serve me well in a house full of boys as does my love of chicken wings!
I make them often and they never last long. The kids absolutely love chicken wings. There is just something fun and exciting about finger foods. My husband and I like them spicy. My older one does too. I recently discovered this Tabasco Buffalo Sauce which makes the best spicy buffalo chicken wings with minimal effort. My little guys like them with Asian seasoning. I used my favorite gluten-free soy sauce and a bunch of frozen Garden Gourmet herbs to make a delicious glaze for wings that is sweet, salty and also super-easy. You can easily sub in fresh herbs. Marinating and grilling the wings makes them really flavorful and gets the skin really nice and crispy. Yum! Make these wings for your favorite football game and enjoy!
- CHICKEN WINGS
- 3½ -4 pounds chicken wings (I had 32 wings total)
- 3 Tbls white vinegar
- garlic salt to taste (I probably sprinkled on about 1½ tsp)
- SPICY BUFFALO SAUCE
- ¼ cup of Tabasco Buffalo Sauce
- 1 Tbl butter
- SWEET ASIAN GLAZE
- 2 Tbl Canola Oil
- ¼ cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 Tbl brown turbinado sugar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced lemongrass
- 1 Tbl minced cilantro
- 1 Tbl minced basil
- GARNISH AND SIDES
- Carrots, celery and blue cheese, for dipping
- Marinate the chicken wings in a ziploc bag or 9x13 baking dish with white vinegar and garlic salt in the refrigerator for 1 hour
- Heat grill to medium and put chicken wings on. Cook until skin is crispy on the outside and chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165).
- While wings are cooking, prepare a large bowl with buffalo sauce and butter and use this to toss half of the wings when they come off of the grill
- In another bowl, whisk all of the sweet Asian glaze ingredients together and separate them into 2 smaller bowls. Use one half of the sweet asian glaze to brush onto one half of the wings on the grill as they cook. Heat the other half the glaze in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and pour it over the Asian seasoned wings just before serving.
- Serve with carrots, celery and blue cheese for dipping.