Grilled Gluten-Free Crostini with Goat Cheese and Pears over Mixed Greens with Raspberry-Champagne Vinaigrette
I’ve had a couple of weeks off of culinary school. I decided to share some of my own recipes and favorite gluten-free finds with you today. I figured to keep it light after the holidays since we’ve all been feasting the last few weeks. This crostini was grilled along with the sliced pear on a stovetop grill pan. I then spread the goat cheese on and baked the bread for a few minutes before placing the grilled pear on top.
I used my favorite, Schar Gluten-Free Baguettes in this recipe. I’m a huge fan of DeCicco’s in Ardsley, NY. They carry their full line, not just a few kinds, so I can always find them there. I use them in so many recipes and always, when I have company, toasted alongside a cheese plate. No one can ever tell they are gluten-free.
DeCicco’s is a local supermarket with really fresh produce, a great butcher, fish counter and all of those other ingredients you need when you are making good food. It is also extremely customer-oriented. It wasn’t until my son and I were diagnosed with celiac disease that I realized what an extensive gluten-free selection they have available. They are not your typical health food store, just a great food market but they consistently have all of the products I need and then some. They even have a ton of different kinds of gluten-free beer!
At one point, I realized the only product I needed they didn’t have was Barney Butter (an almond butter that is gluten and peanut-free). They actually ordered it AND called me 2 days later to let me know it was in the store! How nice is that?
I’m really loving Pure Mountain products lately as well. I recently went to a tasting with Gwenn from Olive and Swank. I fell in love with and bought their Spanish Olive Oil and Champagne Vinegar. I made this raspberry-champagne vinaigrette with those two items and it was all I wanted and more. Simple and delicious. It’s amazing how little you have to add when you use high quality ingredients. I also bought their Truffle Sea Salt. Words cannot describe…but you can see how I used it in this Ribeye with Mashed Potatoes recipe.
I am pretty dependent on and appreciative of the local vendors and stores who provide me with the items I need to prepare delicious, safe and healthy foods. How about you? Anyone you want to share information on and/or give a shout out to?
- 1 baguette loaf sliced diagonally about 1 inch apart (I used Schar Gluten-Free)
- 1 bosc pear, peeled, pitted and cut into 8 long slices
- ¼ c olive oil to brush onto baguettes and grill pan (or as much or little as you need)
- 1 4oz goat cheese log (I used plain)
- 1 pkg organic mixed baby romaine (or any mixed greens you like)
- 1 head belgian endive, cut into long strips
- 1 pkg grape tomatoes, cut in halves
- fresh raspberries (optional for garnish)
- 1 T Raspberry Preserves (I use Hero brand)
- ⅛ c champagne vinegar
- ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ c olive oil
- pinch of turbinado sugar
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- Heat grill pan over medium heat on stovetop and heat oven to 350 degrees
- Brush olive oil on grill pan and place sliced baguettes and pears on top. Brush olive oil on the baguette sides that are facing up. Allow to get nice grill marks on each side. Take off grill pan and set pears aside.
- Spread goat cheese on baguettes and place on a baking pan in the oven until cheese is melted and a little bubbly (5-8 minutes).
- In the meantime make the dressing by whisking together raspberry preserves, champagne vinegar and lemon juice and then slowly streaming in olive oil while continuously whisking, to incorporate. Add pinch(es) of sugar and a little salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Assemble salad, toss with raspberry-champagne vinaigrette and plate.
- Remove crostini from oven, top with grilled pear and place on top of salad. Garnish with raspberries, serve and enjoy!
P.S. As I am publishing this post, I am listening to the beautiful new single by Julie Mar “Staircase”. Check it out here. Just came out at 10am today. Julie’s my cousin and I am so blown away by her talent and loving this song!