Hi everyone! I hope you are all enjoying the beginning of Summer! As you may already know by reading my last few posts, we are in the Pastry Arts section of culinary school right now. I will be sharing gluten-free and allergy-friendly versions of the recipes I learn for you each week. However, I still think it is important to share healthy, savory dishes with you on a regular basis. I’ve enlisted some very talented friends to help me do so over the next several weeks. The first comes from a fellow classmate at the Institute of Culinary Education, friend and blogger at The Date Dish, Lindsey Becker. Lindsey specializes in preparing simple yet impressive dishes. This recipe is for a delicious grilled corn salad with basil, advocado and tomatoes. Yum! Take it away Lindsey…
There is nothing that reminds me more of summer than beautiful golden sweet corn grilled to perfection! I wanted to develop a simple recipe that highlights this delicious summer produce but also incorporates some of the other great seasonal components, such as tomatoes, basil and avocado. The combination of all of these incredible flavors comes together harmoniously for, simply put, a party in your mouth! Try this gluten-free side dish with some grilled chicken or shrimp, on a picnic with your loved one, or even as a healthy vegetarian meal on it’s own.
- 2 ears corn
- ⅔ cup halved cherry tomatoes or chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp diced red onion
- ½ large avocado, cut into ½-in. cubes
- ⅛ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook corn for about 3 minutes. Shock in an ice bath until cool. Alternatively, lightly oil, season and grill until lightly charred on all sites.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, avocado, and basil
- Make the vinaigrette in a small bowl by combining remaining ingredients and whisk until blended
- Cut corn kernels off cobs and add to salad, then pour in vinaigrette and toss gently to combine
Having lived in Italy, France, Washington DC, and New York City, Lindsey’s worldly travels developed her palate and passion for cooking at a young age. Throwing dinner parties since she can remember and always providing advice to her friends on what to make for a date, Lindsey has been refining her elegant recipes for years. Her style is contemporary American with Italian influences and focused on seasonal ingredients. You can see what Lindsey’s cooking on her website, The Date Dish or follow her on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.