I’m not in the mood. Ever feel like that? Just not really in the mood for anything, really. I get that way sometimes. I think I may have inadvertently eaten something out that was cross-contaminated a couple of days ago. My stomach is a bit of a wreck and I’m feeling tired, a little cranky and overall just…blah.
It annoys me because the pressure is always on to eat at home in order to avoid those situations and ultimately several days of feeling like crap. I don’t want to always eat at home. I love to cook and all but to feel like you have to do so every day gets old sometimes. But, it’s our reality. Mostly because I am more concerned about risking cross-contamination for the kids. I’m good with that most of the time, I suppose. Not so much today.
For this reason, I am making a no-brainer dish. One I have made lots of times, is quick and easy and I know everyone in the house will be happy to eat. I figured to pass it on to you because maybe you’ve been there too. We all have those days when we aren’t really in the mood to cook but do so because it is better for our family than eating out. Though if you are able to do so without worries, go for it! No judgement here. Just a little envy.
The best part of this recipe, besides how good it tastes, is the chicken goes straight into the oven in the pan so there is only one thing to clean. That is key because if I’m not in the mood to cook, you know I am definitely not in the mood to do dishes!
- 4 large bone-in, skin on chicken thighs (about 1 lb)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- salt to taste
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lemon, ½ sliced thinly into rounds, ½ sliced into wedges
- 1 6oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- few sprigs of oregano
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and season chicken generously with salt and paprika. Heat large, straight-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Lay chicken in the pan, skin side down and cook until skin is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken thighs skin side up, pour off excess fat and add sliced lemons, artichoke hearts, smashed garlic and oregano to the pan.
- Transfer to oven and roast until chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees, about 20-25 minutes, and skin is deeply golden brown and crisp. Allow to rest 5-10 minutes and serve with additional lemon wedges and fresh oregano for garnish.