It’s raining outside. I like when it rains and I don’t have anywhere to go. The rain is pitter-pattering on my roof. Such a soothing sound. It relaxes me. Makes me want to just chill out. None of the usual frenzy I put myself in to try to do a million things in-between dropping my kids off at camp and picking them up. I just get to hang out and chat with you.
I tested these muffins yesterday. I’ve been wanting to use flaxseed meal in a recipe for a while. It’s so good for you, especially if you need some fiber in your diet like I do. These muffins taste great and make me feel nourished. I enjoy eating them because they are not just a vessel for empty calories, there are some benefits in there. Sure there’s a little sugar but overall, it is balanced out very nicely with oats, flax, fruit and nuts. Not too much oil. Pretty healthful.
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how I can take better care of myself. In my pursuit of a culinary career and the time I spend in school as well as in the kitchen testing recipes, I’ve begun to neglect exercise. In the last few years, I’ve fallen in love with Vinyasa yoga, mainly because of my very close friend and amazing instructor, Allison. I never thought yoga would be something I could enjoy. However, it’s become something I need not only physically but mentally too. I love Allison’s class and I need to get there more often. In the meantime, I am so glad she started this website so I can read her Flowosophy and remind myself to just breathe from time to time and enjoy this incredible journey I am on and the opportunity I have to connect with all of you.
So enjoy these muffins and let’s all remind ourselves to nourish our bodies and minds more often!
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ¾ cup King Arthur's gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ⅓ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder1/2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbl vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1 banana, sliced thick on the bias
- turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top of banana
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with paper muffin liners
- Add tsp of vinegar to milk and allow to sit for 5 minutes
- Add milk mixture to oats in a bowl and soak for 15-20 minutes
- In the meantime, combine gluten free flour blend, xanthan gum, flaxseed meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl and whisk together well.
- Add egg, brown sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla extract to oats and mix together.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients into it. Mix until just blended. Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Use an ice cream scooper to fill each muffin liner.
- Press sliced banana on top
- Bake for 10 minutes, take out of oven, press banana into the muffin again and sprinkle with a little turbinado sugar ( you can avoid this step if you want to just put the banana in the middle of the muffin before baking it)
- Continue to bake an additional 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Enjoy warm out of the oven or cool
Leave a Comment