This is one of my go-to starters when entertaining. It is very simple to prepare, delicious and healthy. Shrimp ceviche is a nice, light appetizer when you are making lots of food, which I must confess, I often do. I apparently seem to have a strange fear I will not have enough whenever I have guests over and then go to the opposite extreme of having way too much. Oh well, it usually makes for great leftovers and I always have lots of take-away containers ready at the end of the night!
As I mentioned, shrimp ceviche is very simple to prepare. However, it is one of those dishes everyone raves about and therefore makes you feel like you’ve done good. I usually prepare it early in the day to let the flavors marry and hold off on cutting open and adding the avocado until just before the guests arrive. I serve it with tortilla chips. Tostitos Scoops are actually great because they hold onto the ceviche in nice bite-sized servings. Try this out the next time you have people over. I guarantee they will love it!
- 1 lb cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp, ends pulled off and coarsely chopped
- 4 sprigs of cilantro, leaves pulled off and diced
- 6-8 campari tomatoes, cut in half, seeded and diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or hot sauce, optional
- ⅛ tsp ground cumin, optional
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, scooped out of skin and coarsely chopped
- 1 lime, half to juice avocado and other half sliced for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except avocado and additional lime in a bowl or tupperware container and mix together
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 6 to allow flavors to marry
- Just before serving, cut open, remove pit, scoop avocado out of its skin and chop it up
- Squeeze ½ of lime over avocado and add some kosher salt to it directly before mixing it in with the rest of the ingredients
- Taste and adjust any seasonings (salt, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt), as needed
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips and enjoy!
This shrimp ceviche is amazing!!
Loved this recipe and so did my guests! Making it again soon!
G’day! Your ceviche looks GREAT, true!
Your photo drew me right in too and now I cannot wait to do!
I’ve eaten this many times at your house and I am trying for the first time for my guests this week!!! Hope it’s as delicious as yours!!!
I’m sure it’ll be awesome, Cor! Happy New Year! Xoxo