Back when I started this website at the end of last summer, I promised myself I would stick to a schedule my readers could count on (all 100 of my closest friends and family at the time). I used to post a sweet recipe every Tuesday and a savory recipe every Friday. Once I committed to a schedule, I knew very little could deter me from adhering to it (I’m a little crazy like that, I guess). In October, Hurricane Sandy hit here in the Northeast. There were power outages everywhere and unfortunately, much worse for so many.
There was no way I was whipping up a dessert and sharing a recipe on the following Tuesday but, I still felt I needed to write a post whether or not anyone was really going to be able to read it. I wrote this…“Tuesday’s Treat: We’re OK. We hope you are too!” To my surprise, I received a comment from someone I wasn’t related to and didn’t already know! It was Amie Valpone from The Healthy Apple. I immediately checked out her website and loved it!
Amie and I have since become great friends. We get together over tea or yummy green juices every so often to chat and get updates on each other’s lives. Our friendship is one of several that have been born out of this journey I’m on and a reminder to me that even when I think no one ispaying attention, I am reaching people out there. Amie generously offered to share this delicious pasta salad recipe with all of you today. I hope you enjoy it and check out her site for many wonderful clean and healthy recipes (as well as her gorgeous photography as you can see in this post)! Thanks Amie!
- ½ pound gluten-free penne pasta
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced crosswise
- 6 medium button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 (10oz.) package frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 4 cups fresh organic spinach, blanched
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 chives, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl; toss with zucchini, mushrooms, corn and spinach. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour olive oil mixture over the cooked pasta mixture and gently toss.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP is the Editor-in-Chief of www.TheHealthyApple.com; she is a Manhattan based Personal Chef, Culinary Nutritionist, Professional Recipe Developer, Food Photographer and Writer specializing in simple gluten-free and dairy-free ‘Clean’ recipes for the home cook. Amie recently healed herself from a decade of chronic pain, exhausting every doctor in the country and Mayo Clinic; she shares her story of how Clean Eating saved her life and inspires you to Clean up your food, too. Amie lives in Manhattan, NYC where she cooks for a variety of clients including celebrities and people with busy lifestyles who enjoy healthy, fresh food. Amie’s work appears on Martha Stewart, Fox News Health, WebMD, The Huffington Post, The Food Network, Glamour Magazine, Clean Eating Magazine, SHAPE Magazine, Prevention Magazine, PBS and many others. Visit Amie on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Plus and Pinterest @TheHealthyApple